Your home’s been flooded. What do you do next? Flooding can be devastating. Depending on the water levels, it may seem as though you’ve lost everything. The first 24 hours of your home’s recovery will be critical.

Make Sure It’s Safe to Go In

If your home has been structurally damaged, it may not be safe to go in. Look for signs such as cracks, sagging walls, and roof damage. Make sure the electricity and gas have been turned off before you enter. Consider wearing waders and other waterproofed clothing before you enter. Floodwaters harbor dangerous bacteria.

Document Everything

Before you touch anything in your home, take a clear video of everything inside of it. Take close up photos of the damage. Documenting everything will help you with your insurance claim later on. You should take as many pictures as possible before disturbing anything inside of the property.

Call Your Insurance Company

Your insurance company should be your first contact after you’ve documented your damage. Your insurance company will be able to help you arrange cleaning and repair services for your flooded home — as long as you had flooding insurance. Flood insurance isn’t usually included in a homeowners insurance policy but is instead an additional type of insurance that’s added on. There’s a waiting period, so you should purchase flood insurance early.

See If You Have FEMA Protection

You may have additional resources available through FEMA if the flood was part of a natural disaster. You should contact FEMA directly. But keep in mind that FEMA’s waiting lists can be quite long, and their assistance likely will not cover the full scope of damages, so insurance is generally the better answer for complete coverage.

Throw Out What You Can

Emptying the property as much as you can will help you recover it safely. Throw out things that you don’t need, empty out the fridge and other appliances, and be careful to avoid touching anything that could have bacteria or mold on it. If there’s still any standing water in the property, soak it up and clear it out. Open the doors and windows, and place fans to start the drying process.

Work With the Flood Remediation Company

A professional remediation company will be able to help you completely dry out your home. Often, they may also need to treat for bacteria and mold. They’ll tell you whether certain elements of your home can be recovered, such as wood flooring. They can also test your air quality to make sure your home is safe to move back into. Your insurance company can help you find a flood remediation company.

Do you have enough flood insurance? Flood insurance is critical to recovering from a flooded home. Contact the Thayer-Innes Insurance Agency for a quote today.

About Thayer Innes and Freeman Bunting Insurance Agencies

At Thayer-Innes Insurance Agency and Freeman Bunting Insurance Agency, we strive to provide comprehensive insurance solutions to support Ann Arbor homeowners. Our homeowners’ policies can be tailored to meet your specific risk exposures and provides much more coverage than a traditional policy, giving you the peace of mind you deserve. For more information about our products, contact us today at (855) 395-6316.